Monday, August 28, 2017

2017 CSA Week 17

Hello fellow CSA members!

I was excited to see our share list this week. We're getting a new item that helps mark the end of summer... and sure is delicious: Watermelon!!! Here's the rest:


Produce
Storage
Longevity
watermelon
room temperature or refrigerated
3-5 days
spaghetti squash
room temperature
2-4 weeks
acorn squash
room temperature
several weeks
onions
room temperature
up to a week or longer
eggplant
unwashed, in fridge, wrapped in a paper towel in crisper
5-7 days
kohlrabi
washed or unwashed, in fridge
1-2 weeks
bell pepper
washed or unwashed in fridge
1-2 weeks


This may sound a little weird, but I just thought the onion in my share this week was beautiful. I took pictures of it with my phone but none of them really turned out the way I hoped. I'm not a fan of onions, but I sliced it up for a crockpot Hungarian Beef recipe. I don't think I've ever purchased an organic onion outside my share and it made me reflect on the better quality of food we get when we purchase local, organic produce. I've been getting shares for so many years (and am not that great at eating my veggies anyway) that sometimes I think I forget or take for granted what a privilege it is to have access to such good -- in so many ways -- food.

A few of us CSA members were talking over the weekend about ideas for what to do about all the bell peppers we've been getting in our shares. They really are delicious, but I run out of ideas (and time) sometimes, and sometimes a pepper or two will wither away in my crisper. Sad. Beyond taking the time to slice and freeze them for later, I decided to look at recipes that may use them. Fajitas. Stuffed peppers. And then I start running out of ideas. I did an internet search and found recipes for Bell Pepper Frittata, Bell Pepper Muffins and Bell Pepper Soup.

Be sure to share in the comments below, or on our Facebook page, how you are using your peppers, and the rest of your share.

No comments:

Post a Comment