Monday, August 21, 2017

2017 CSA Week 16

Happy Solar Eclipse Day! I hope you all enjoyed it. I stayed here in London and peeked out every few minutes while watching my toddler, but I was just so impressed. I'm already gearing up for 2024!

I am excited to tell you what we have in our shares this week. As we creep toward fall, we'll begin to see new items in our shares each week, as other items fade away.

Produce
Storage
Longevity
celery
unwashed, in fridge
up to a week
onion
room temperature
up to a week or longer
tomatoes
room temperature
enjoy as soon as possible
potatoes
Cool, dark place
up to two weeks
acorn squash
room temperature
weeks
purple cabbage
unwashed, in fridge
up to a month or longer
bell pepper
washed or unwashed in fridge
up to a week

Ford mentioned that the tomatoes will be especially ripe due to all the rain. Enjoy them as quickly as possible. The tomatoes are also almost at the end of the harvest. We won't see them very much from here on out.

I've shared with you my love of sauerkraut before, and I think the purple lettuce would be just beautiful for that. You also have the makings of a great stir fry. And actually, several of these items - peppers, onions, potatoes and cabbage - could be used to make one of my family's favorite childhood recipes.

Another great recipe (that makes up in taste what it lacks in health) that would use a few of the share ingredients this week is Frito Corn Salad! (Yum!) There are several different versions. Some use peppers, some use different flavors of fritos. I got this one from friend and fellow CSA member, Olivia Post.

Frito Corn Salad

1/2 c chopped celery
1/2 c chopped purple onion
2 cans fiesta or Mexi-corn
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
1 bag chili cheese fritos
1/2 cup mayo
3 Tbsp ranch dressing

Mix together the celery, onion, corn and cheese. Mix mayo and ranch separately then pour on veggie mixture and stir until well combined. Just before serving, mix in fritos.

(If you are making this for a small group, you can just leave the fritos out and add them in individually. Once you mix the fritos in, it should be eaten pretty quickly. It can't be saved. You can save the other ingredients for a day or two and mix the fritos in with each individual serving.

Acorn squash is making its debut. If you, like me, didn't have much exposure to this particular squash outside the CSA, here are ten recipes you could try with it. If you're curious about the nutritional value of acorn squash, I did a little research. While it is high in (complex) carbohydrates, it is also very nutrient dense. This squash is a great source of many vitamins and minerals, especially A, C and several of the B family.

I was feeling especially thankful for our cheese share from Wildcat Mountain Cheeses this week. I used my two favorite cheeses from them: Cheese curds and Bernstadt Swiss. I shredded the swiss to top some eggplant parmesan (or eggplant swiss, I suppose). And while I was breading and frying I decided to do the same for the cheese curds. Those did not turn out quite as beautifully BUT boy they were delicious!

I got a picture that actually showed some
eggplant under the cheese and sauce. The
whole family loved it, and I loved having a
healthy meal from local products that my
son and husband enjoyed!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment