Monday, May 22, 2017

2017 CSA Week 3

Hello fellow CSA members!

I didn't want to come inside from this beautiful weather to tell you about our wonderful share this week. I have said for many years that if I could have weather like today every day it would almost make me willing to trade in our lovely winter snows. I hope you all got to enjoy it a bit. I'm afraid we won't get many more like this one. We grilled out burgers with our neighbors this evening (thanks again to the winter meat share) and kept getting compliments on the meat. If you haven't tried it, you should. You really can taste the difference.

But what you're really interested in is what you'll be getting this week. Ford has another great share lined up for us:


Produce
Storage
Longevity
strawberries*
unwashed, in fridge
2-5 days
red leaf lettuce
unwashed, in fridge
1 week
romaine lettuce
unwashed, in fridge
1 week
kohlrabi
washed or unwashed in fridge
1-2 weeks
kale
washed and thoroughly dried, or unwashed, in fridge, sealed in container
1 week
tatsoi
nwashed, in fridge
1 weeks
sweet potatoes**
in a cool, dark place
2 weeks
broccoli**
unwashed, in fridge
1 week


*High quality, local, but not USDA certified organic
**Regular and robust shares will receive either sweet potatoes OR broccoli. Small shares will not receive either this week. Please note, the sweet potatoes will be smaller in size, like the first share, which I think are great for chopping and roasting or slicing and baking as fries.

Ford shared a video of the greens growing in the field this week. I was hoping to be super tech-y and embed the video in the blog here. Instead, I'll only be partially tech-y and link to the video. Just imagine how impressive this would have been 20 years ago.

Kohlrabi is making its debut in this share. I had never eaten kohlrabi until I was a CSA member. I didn't even know what it was or how to say it. And, I'll sadly say, I actually forgot what I did with it last year. But I did remember I was excited about it so I decided to look back in the blog to see what I had made. I'm so glad I did! I used pickled kohlrabi in a knock-off banh mi sandwich recipe. (You can actually just remove the outer layer, slice it and eat it raw if you're looking for something simpler.) And it was just so delicious. I thought it was worth re-sharing the picture of it from last year. The picture actually popped up on my phone a couple weeks ago and I couldn't remember the recipe I used. Thank God for blogs and archives. :) And friends who grow delicious food.

Also, if you happen to love pickled and fermented foods too (I'm a big fan), I'll also share with you a recipe passed on to me by fellow CSA member, Alice, for kim chi with the radishes from last week.

Hope you all enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment