Monday, May 29, 2017

2017 CSA Week 4

Happy Memorial Day, fellow CSA members!

I hope you enjoyed a weekend celebration of some sort: Whether with family, friends, or just quiet reflection on our many blessings. I'm writing from Indiana tonight as we celebrate with some very special friends.

Today marks the unofficial start to summer and our shares are starting to usher in the season as well. I am excited to fill you in on the goodness coming our way this week:


Produce
Storage
Longevity
bok choy
unwashed, in fridge
1 week
zucchini and summer squash
unwashed, in fridge
1-2 weeks
swiss chard
washed and thoroughly dried, or unwashed, in fridge, sealed in container
1 week
romaine lettuce
unwashed, in fridge
1 week
garlic scapes
washed or unwashed, in fridge
1-2 weeks
kale
washed and thoroughly dried, or unwashed, in fridge, sealed in container
1 week
broccoli
unwashed, in fridge
1 week

Ford wasn't sure how much summer squash and zucchini his harvest would yield this week. Shares may be supplemented with additional broccoli if there isn't enough squash. Some shares may also get sweet potatoes instead of squash.

For those of you who weren't CSA members last year, garlic scapes might be new to you. Not to worry, Amanda gave us all a great primer for them.

The beautiful bok choy just before
I sautéed it.
The CSA member-only Facebook page also has some great recipe ideas from fellow members. I've loved seeing how everyone is using their shares!

In case you all missed it, I will share a picture of Matthias eating bok choy for the first time. I was so happy he loved the recipe I shared with you all a couple weeks ago.

Maybe you all have picked up on the fact that kale is not my favorite of the vegetables. I've tried it in salad, baked as chips, pureed in smoothies (probably my favorite, but I still prefer other greens). I decided to do a search for different ways to eat kale and I found a new one to try: Creamed. The website said to just substitute kale for spinach in a creamed spinach recipe. Worth a shot, I think.

If you don't already have a go-to creamed spinach recipe, try this one from the Pioneer Woman that Amanda shared with us awhile back.

Which got me thinking: Maybe it could be used as a spinach substitute in other recipes, too. Like this chicken and spinach dumplings that is a favorite of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment