Monday, June 13, 2016

2016 CSA Week 7

Hello fellow CSA members!

I'm sorry about the absence of an "In the Kitchen" post last week. I had out-of-town appointments a couple of days and when I was home my days never actually went as I planned for them to. However, I did want to share with you what I had hoped to do with the kohlrabi and maybe you can try it too. (My Plan E -- at this point -- is to do this for lunch tomorrow. We'll see.)

Inspired by the pickled kohlrabi recipe I shared in last week's post, as well as a shredded kohlrabi and carrot salad recipe I saw I began dreaming of a knock-off banh mi sandwich. (I even thawed out the pork for it!) I planned to pickle shredded carrot, kohlrabi and cucumber for the veggies (and, of course, cilantro). If I get to it tomorrow I'll let you know how it goes in the second post I hope to do this week.

Enough about last week's share... What do we have for this week?!?!


Produce
Storage
Longevity
summer squash and zucchini
unwashed, in fridge
1-2 weeks
lettuce
unwashed, in fridge
1 week
kale
washed and thoroughly dried, or unwashed, in fridge, sealed in container
1 week
bok choy
unwashed, in fridge
1 week
Sustainable Harvest strawberry jam
shelf stable
months


One of my friends made freezer jam with the SHF strawberries one season a couple years ago, so I am so excited to get this jar of jam this year. And I wanted to share with all of you this recipe for how we used our strawberry jam back then: Mississippi Delta Jelly Cake. I have made some cakes from scratch that have been flops, but I loved this cake batter recipe. And of course the jam made it delicious. I even made cupcakes from the batter once and then filled them with jelly and topped them with homemade buttercream icing. The good news is that if you don't have time to try it this week, the jam will last as long as you can keep from opening it and eating it with a spoon.

Keeping with the delicious baked good theme, I want to share with you one of our favorite zucchini recipes, Blueberry Zucchini Bread. I'm sad to say I haven't made it to the farmer's market yet this season, but the blueberries sold at the market here in London are my absolute favorite for this recipe. If the blueberries and zucchini aren't available at the same time you can always freeze one or the other until you have them both.

We also love to saute the squash in garlic and soy sauce or some type of marinade, or -- my personal favorite -- just bread them and fry them. Yummy! I'm going to be looking for other squash recipes in the coming days and if this week goes better than the last I'll let you know how it goes.

Obviously, these suggestions are not the healthiest options you could choose for your fresh, local, organic products, but I do think they're delicious. On that note, I'll leave you with one final recipe I wanted to go ahead and share in case I don't make it myself this week. All of this beautiful lettuce reminds me of my grandparents' garden when I was young. They'd bring in beautiful fresh lettuce (much like what we get in our shares) and we'd have Wilted Lettuce Salad. Never had it? Sound healthy to you? Let's just say the "dressing" is made from bacon grease. Kind of like a BLT, minus the bread.

I hope you all enjoy your shares this week. Please keep in touch! I love hearing from fellow members. amyrosekarr@gmail.com

A special thanks this week to all the people who
help deliver our wonderful CSA shares each week.
We appreciate you!

No comments:

Post a Comment