Monday, June 20, 2016

2016 CSA Week 8

Hello fellow CSA members!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Father's Day weekend. And a great first day of summer! I bought a small pool for Matthias a couple weeks ago and thought today would be a great time to try it for the first time. He was very unsure at first, but he warmed up to it and it was so fun to see him exploring a new thing!

The shares are welcoming summer with tomatoes for everyone! And plenty more delicious produce...

Produce
Storage
Longevity
summer squash and zucchini
unwashed, in fridge
1-2 weeks
lettuce
unwashed, in fridge
1 week
kale
washed and thoroughly dried, or unwashed, in fridge, sealed in container
1 week
tomatoes
room temperature
about a week
Sustainable Harvest strawberry jam
shelf stable
months
sugar snap peas
unwashed, in fridge
2-3 days
Beets
Remove tops, in fridge
1 month +

Our jam being made!

The beets and sugar snap peas are on the CSA lottery this week... You'll either get one or the other.

Ford mentioned how much he loves roasted beets. I've never really tried roasted beets. I actually prefer my beets pickled (I shred them and ferment them with a little cabbage). And my absolute favorite way to enjoy beets is in chocolate cake. Sounds crazy, but I'll let all of you do your own little "beet cake" recipe search online. I hope to get my friend's recipe very soon to share with all of you. In the meantime, try whichever recipe interests you most in your search.

And this is the (only, as far as I'm concerned) way to eat sugar snap peas: Break them up. Put them in your mouth. Chew. Swallow. One of my fondest early childhood memories was going down to the garden with my grandmother and "helping" pick sugar snap peas. I mostly just rambled and tried to get the attention of the horse in the nearby field. We would walk up to the porch and sit on the swing together. She'd break them up and I'd eat them as fast as I could, sometimes until I got a stomachache. That same swing now hangs from my porch and I know where I'll be eating my fresh peas this week.

Here in America with our abundance of options and choices we are blessed that food is more than just food. It becomes tradition and love and celebration and so much more. Ford and Amanda and everyone at Sustainable Harvest Farm put their hearts, and so much of their time and energy, into the food they grow. As CSA members, we support them, enjoy the bounty and, I hope, create our own food memories with our families and friends as we experiment with new recipes and foods and look forward to the weekly summer tradition of picking up a box of that week's finest produce.

May you all eat well this week. And, as always, I'd love to hear from you. amyrosekarr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment