Monday, August 8, 2016

2016 CSA Week 15

Good evening fellow CSA members!

I hope you all are doing well in any back-to-school preparations going on in your house. No one in the Karr home is headed to the classroom this semester, but I have always enjoyed this time of year. New clothes, blank notebooks, fresh pencils and anticipation for what new classes, new books, new teachers will bring. Best wishes to all of your students, young and old.

Our CSA shares also reflect a change in season. This week we begin to see a transition toward fall with the seasonal debut of our first winter squash. Here's what else is coming our way:


Produce
Storage
Longevity
summer squash and zucchini
unwashed, in fridge
1-2 weeks
spaghetti squash
room temperature
2-4 weeks
tomatoes
room temperature
about a week
sweet corn
shucked or with husks on in coldest part of fridge
enjoy as soon as possible
eggplant*
unwashed, in fridge, wrapped in a paper towel in crisper
5-7 days
blackberries*
unwashed, in fridge
3-5 days
bell pepper
washed or unwashed in fridge
1-2 weeks
cucumber
washed or unwashed in fridge
1-2 weeks
garlic
unwashed in fridge
1 week
basil
store in an unclosed container in fridge or snip off bottom of stems and immerse in water
1-2 weeks

*In this week's CSA, you'll receive either eggplant OR blackberries. This hasn't been confirmed by Ford, but I'm guessing blackberries will soon be gone until next year. Enjoy while you can!

I received several recipes this week from CSA Member Jodi Mendez. She combined a Summer Vegetable Tian recipe, Tomato, Squash and Eggplant Tian recipe, as well as an Eggplant and Squash Tian recipe to come up with something both she and her husband really enjoyed. Her notes say she just used squash, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes with garlic, onions, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. She topped it with Wildcat Farms Swiss Cheese. I had to look up what a "tian" is. A quick internet search told me it is a hot or cold dish made with layered ingredients, an easy method to make a dish look beautiful. And doesn't it also look delicious?


Another CSA member posted a ratatouille recipe on last week's blog post. Also a great option for this week's share!

Spaghetti squash has been a staple in the final weeks of the summer share, as well as in the fall share. I had never actually cooked with or eaten spaghetti squash until the CSA. I have found it to be simple and delicious. You can visit a post from a previous season for notes on how to prepare it, as well as a recipe for Baked Spaghetti Squash with Butter and Garlic. (Bonus: This post also has a yummy corn recipe.)

I have used my share ingredients pretty generically (nothing new or creative) this week, but I did just receive three free promotional meals from one of those fresh meal delivery services (they send you all the ingredients and the recipes, you cook them at home). I cooked one of them tonight and Johnie was so impressed he asked me if I had taken a picture of it before he took his first bite. There was no reason to take a picture, so we just dug in. But it was delicious, and I realized it included ingredients also included in our weekly shares. So... I'm sorry there's no picture, but I did decide to share a similar recipe with you that I found online for Farro and Corn Salad. You can also use kale instead of arugula. And I used balsamic vinegar in my recipe tonight. Ours was served with seared pork chops (topped with diced plum). And as I was eating it I was dreaming of how delicious it would be with SHF pork chops.

Hope you all enjoy your shares this week! As always, I love to hear from you! amyrosekarr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment