Monday, May 16, 2016

2016 CSA Week 3

Hello fellow CSA members!

Are you staying warm? These unseasonable cold snaps are sometimes a nuisance or minor inconvenience for most of us, but they can cause a lot of extra work for our farmers. Ford and one of his employees, Shawn, were out late last night making sure our tomatoes would be protected from potential frost. Bless their hearts! (I'm a southern girl, so I can say that.) SHF tomatoes are some of the world's best (in my opinion) and I am thankful for their hard work in getting them to my kitchen. (Did you know they also grow greenhouse tomatoes? I was able to enjoy them with my winter share last year!)

Enough about what we'll get in the coming weeks. What about what is in THIS share? It's another good one! I buy bagged salads a lot, so I am excited to get our first bag of mixed salad greens of this season.

Produce
Storage
Longevity
strawberries
unwashed, in fridge
2-5 days
carrots
unwashed, in fridge
2 weeks
lettuce
unwashed, in fridge
1 week
salad mix (kale, tatsoi, greens)
in fridge
1 week



Here is a link from a previous blog post with some information about tatsoi.

Here is a recipe for strawberry relish with herb crusted chicken (and it also uses fresh oregano) that I found last week but never actually tried. Maybe you will get a chance to!

CSA member Samantha Otte shared this recipe (a hit with two young picky eaters!) with me this morning for bean-less chili that uses some of last week's sweet potatoes. The recipe allows for your choice of a range of meat or meat-substitute options. It would be a good choice during these cooler evenings!

Have a great week and remember I love to hear from fellow CSA members with tips, tricks, recipes, successes, questions and concerns!

No comments:

Post a Comment