Friday, May 20, 2016

2016 CSA Week 3: In the Kitchen

Hello again, fellow CSA members!
I have enjoyed hearing from you this week! Someone asked me if this blogging is stressful... Part of the reason why it isn't is because you all are so great to share your recipes, tips and expertise with me! I have been encouraged to hear how you all are using your shares and I hope you will also get some inspiration and support through the blog. We really are all in this together!

Once again I wasn't exactly sure how the week would go and how I would use another wonderful share! Early in the week CSA member Jodi Mendez emailed a few recipes her family uses for the strawberries: A yummy fruit pizza with cream cheese icing. And strawberry bread. Strawberry bread?!?!? Like, banana bread, but with strawberries?!?!? And potential bonus for you: Jodi shared that her family adopted a gluten free diet last year and these recipes fit into that!

This couldn't have been better timing for me. A friend who follows a gluten free diet moved into the area last month and I had been looking for recipes she would enjoy. I had just picked up my first ever bag of a gluten free flour blend on Friday. I had wanted to make something gluten free this week.

It just so happened my friend (coincidentally, she says) happened to drop in with four minutes remaining on the oven timer. I was nervous she might see the flop happen right before her eyes... But she was able to sample the bread piping hot and gave it rave reviews! I have never eaten a lot gluten free breads and I've never baked anything gluten free, so I don't really know how it is supposed to go or how it is supposed to taste. But I thought it was delicious. And it was pretty simple. I don't think I would have known it was gluten free. Having some of the best strawberries money can buy helped, I'm sure.

A couple recipe notes: Jodi and I both used regular white sugar and I thought it probably should have baked a few minutes longer, though we decided just to eat it anyway and pretend it was like a gooey brownie.

It is probably some kind of food faux pas, but I saw those beautiful greens and I was SO excited I just had to turn them into a taco salad. Asian greens in a Mexican dish... Let's just call it fusion! That's a thing now, apparently.

CSA member Angel Tur sent us a picture of a beautiful dish she made using her CSA herbs and cornmeal. I didn't really know much about polenta so I did a quick internet search. Here's a recipe (with "basic" in the title) if you're interested.

Polenta with fine herbs and ground beef

Please keep sharing with us pictures, recipes, tips and tricks, and send any feedback you have. My email is amyrosekarr@gmail.com. We love hearing from you and want to help you have the best experience possible with your share.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I've been cleaning strawberries and putting them in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and putting them in the freezer long enough to be individually frozen. When they are frozen I transfer them to a freezer bag and keep for smoothies! Yummy!!! Other than that strawberries do not last in our house! They get eaten up about as soon as they are cleaned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's a fantastic idea. I was able to do that last year, but have not been able to "save" any this year.

      Delete
  2. The strawberry bread was fantastic. Would love some right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherian! So glad you liked it. Enjoyed the visit and thank you for the help with pictures! Come back and see us soon!

      Delete