Wednesday, July 9, 2014

2014 CSA Week 10


The share for this week is packed with excellent summer produce!  Along with summer favorites like the first sweet corn of the year, tomatoes and zucchini, you will also find fresh lettuce.  We consider this quite a prize because it is more difficult to grow in the summer heat.  This week you have everything you'll need for an outstanding summer salad and more.

I'd like to tell you that I've been "cooking up a storm" in the kitchen and post lots of great photos of our meals, but I'll be honest with you: I'm spending a lot of time making baby food and feeding babies!  (For example, I need to cook about 5 lbs of pears tonight before I go to bed!) Our family meals are very quick and simple this summer and they occur in lots of small steps throughout the course of a day or two - and they almost never involve me remembering to take pictures.  ...so rather than posting an exciting new dish, I'll provide some links to some great recipes I've found online as well as a couple of our old favorites from older posts.  Scroll down for more.

The complete produce list is below along with storage information.  Recipe links with photos are below the table.

ItemHow to store itHow long will it last?
lettucewashed or unwashed in fridge1-2 weeks
squashunwashed in fridge1-2 weeks
zucchiniunwashed in fridge1-2 weeks
cucumbersunwashed in fridge1-2 weeks
tomatoesroom temperatureseveral days
cornshucked (my preference) or husks in tact
in the coldest  area of your fridge (bottom
crisper)
not long, enjoy as soon
as possible for the
sweetest flavor
beets or green
beans
dry, unwashed in frIdge3-4 days for beans,
2-3 MONTHS for beets

Totally AWESOME slideshow of summer recipes from Bon Appetit (be sure to check out the recipe for grilled beets on this one, it's slide 3)
The Pioneer woman's Summer Stir-Fry

Charred tomato corn salsa from Real Simple
Charred Corn and Tomato Salsa



No comments:

Post a Comment