Friday, July 15, 2011

Notes from Email

A few things about sweet corn



  • It's tough to grow USDA Organic Sweet Corn. It's even tougher to keep the coons out of it. That's right 90% of my sweet corn got gobbled up by coons. I harvested enough for everyone to get one ear of Organic Sweet Corn. Mind you, the coons took the best ones, so these are a little puny.


  • You will be receiving non organic sweetcorn in your basket that my father in law grew. He's a great guy and didn't spray it at all. The only non organic substance is the seed itself and bagged fertilizer


  • We harvest at peak ripeness and then "hydro cool it" Hydro cooling is like giving it an ice bath for 30 mins. This prevents the sugary sweet taste from going to starchy starch tasting. Once it is cooled down, I put it into the walk in cooler @ 42 degrees.


  • Since we didn't spray any of it here might be one out of your several ears that have an earworm at the end of it.


  • A couple of other things to note. As we're getting into the big harvest season, there will be items that aren't harvested the morning that you get your basket. Crops that need to be cooled down in order to preserve freshness are harvested Friday morning. I'd really like to harvest everything the day you pick it up, but since I'm not a full time farmer I can't swing that. Ideally CSA pickup would be an afternoon/evening.


  • We might have cantaloupe and eggplant next weekend. For some reason, I can never get okra seeded right in the greenhouse so we don't have the several hundred plants liked I'd hoped...so what I'm going to start doing is putting okra in half the baskets and rotating weeks.


  • Tomatoes should be in your basket next week. If they aren't ripe yet, I'll spray paint them red and they'll taste like a regular store bought tomato anyway! Just kidding.

    Ok, that's enough info for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment